Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 1, 2012

3-30-12 Survival Jobs for Writer-Musicians – Starter Job #87 Cut to -- follow up on Nora & Patrick, pt. II)


SO!  Here’s Patrick’s answer:

Hi Lauren, yes it is indeed the Patrick you met with Nora. Nice to hear from you. . . . Are you still living & working in NYC as last time we were in contact I think you were travelling a lot and spending time in Canada?

It doesn’t seem like a great deal has changed as I still live in West London, Holland Park about 1 mile north of where we used to live. Still working in the city although there has been plenty of change there. . . Do let me know what you are up to and how you are.

Love

Patrick

I felt relief, joy, and shock. . . it took me a few days to craft a response, and when I did, I figured out that I’m in a pretty good place in my life, after all.  So what if I’m a member of the New Leisure Class and struggling?  I know I’m fighting the good fight, as the Rastas say, and working at what I’m gifted at and not just putting in time at any ole 8 to 5, eh? 

Overall, I’m proud of where I am and what I’m doing -- and sometimes, it takes some digging and -- in my case, writing -- about things to figure that out.  Again, I’m thankful to all of you who are reading and/or following this blog while I figure out what happened in between working the hundreds of “survival jobs” I’m sure I’ve had. . .

Anyway, I asked Patrick two important things in my subsequent email:  is it all right to say that you’re gay, and how did you meet Nora?  He wrote:

It is not a problem to mention that I am gay. I met Nora when I started working at Maxwell’s in Covent Garden in 1980 just as the area started to be renovated. The restaurant had just opened and was full of the most wonderful staff. I was immediately attracted to her by her warmth, extrovert personality, generosity and her determination to have a good time.  I will always have fond memories of those days with you and Nora.

Going back in memory, I imagine Patrick at a party, us all dancing in that sort of non-partnerish ‘80’s dance style, Patrick throwing his head back, laughing, smoking Silk Cut cigarettes. . . he was all arms and legs, and always very classy (dressed in nice, preppy sort of garb -- mildly metrosexual, if not a harbinger of that sub-genus!). . .

No comments:

Post a Comment