Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

8-21-12 Survival Jobs for Writer-Musicians -- Starter Job #185 (Working Temp in NYC: Back to working for The Man and doing his/her filing. . . )


Some people can see/think in terms of black and white. Not me. I see things, people, situations in other terms, in shades of gray due to their complications, nuances, multi-facets. This extends to philosophical arguments and making decisions (pros and cons become lines on a page highlighted in lighter or darker gray tones). For an artist, it’s a great way to see the world; for a worker bee, it’s . . . complicated. Third nature, maybe.

That is why I’m, er, not ridiculously good at filing unless you specify the destination, because I see so many choices when it comes to filing other people’s documents. Actually, that’s when it comes to filing ANY documents, period. In my home, I have filing cabinets all around me organized with a “logic” that’s personal, whimsical, even. It’s a 50/50 chance I can find my own papers. . . but in the computer age of scanned docs and such, it’s easier.

Back in the day when I worked in offices for others, if you handed me a document with the place you want it filed clearly written on top -- which 90% of the people I worked for as a temp would do -- filing was a slam-dunk proposition.

Some offices had a “Filing” pile that they wanted the temp to tackle. I’d do filing when more pressing tasks (like phones, copying, faxing, typing) weren’t happening. But the smarter offices where I worked would tell the temps the Filing pile was off limits. It was important work to be saved for the regular employee (who’d, wisely, know exactly where to file the documents).

That was in what I call “the age of the hard copy,” back before so much work became digitized by computers. Of course physical filing was more important back then, before the Digital Age. . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment